NOVICE (RALLYE CAP) (AGES 4 – 7)
The Novice (Rallye Cap) program is an initiative to enhance players’ and coaches’ first experience with the game. The program helps teams teach players the five FUNdamentals of baseball in a fun and safe environment. Players have the opportunity to perform different tasks in order to earn a colored Baseball Canada Rally Cap. Cap colours correspond with various levels of achievement. The program is designed for young baseball players.
1. Create a fun environment in which children and adults are actively engaged together in the game of baseball.
2. Develop fundamental motor skills, teach baseball skills, and basic rules to our players.
3. Experience success with an emphasis on good sportsmanship.
4. Promote increased self-esteem among Rally Cap children and adults.
5. Recruiting new coaches and volunteers
While Dollard Baseball will have facilitators there for the whole season, this is a Parent-Tot program and your (parental) support is essential. Without parents on the field with their kids, this program would not be able to run.
The Novice (Rallye Cap) program takes place on Tuesday AND Thursday 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm.
All Novice (Rallye Cap) sessions will begin with the main goal of having fun and developing a love for the game. Sessions will consist of a short practice/skill development segment and will always involve the players being split up to play a T-Ball or “Coach Pitch” game. Skills they will work on will include:
- Throwing, catching and fielding – a basic introduction to the concept and technique
- Hitting – at first off a tee, but for the most part with coaches pitching. A pitching machine will be added as players progress to get them ready to advance to the next level
- Baserunning – an introduction to the layout of a baseball field and how to run from base to base followed by work on actual technique, sliding and what to do in actual game situations
- Game situations – during all sessions actual games will be played, and as they play kids will be taught the basic rules and situational strategies of baseball
- Sportsmanship and safety – encouraging proper behaviour on the field including dealing with teammates and opponents, winning and losing and making sure everyone is safe