INITIATION PROGRAM (AGES 4 – 7)
The Rally Cap program is an initiative to enhance players’ and coaches’ first experience with the game. The program helps teams teach players the five FUNdamentals of baseball in a fun and safe environment. Players have the opportunity to perform different tasks in order to earn a colored Baseball Canada Rally Cap. Cap colours correspond with various levels of achievement. The program is designed for young baseball players.
1. Create a fun environment in which children and adults are actively engaged together in the game of baseball.
2. Develop fundamental motor skills, teach baseball skills, and basic rules to our players.
3. Experience success with an emphasis on good sportsmanship.
4. Promote increased self-esteem among Rally Cap children and adults.
5. Recruiting new coaches and volunteers
While Dollard Baseball will have facilitators there for the whole season, this is a Parent-Tot program and your (parental) support is essential. Without parents on the field with their kids, this program would not be able to run.
The Initiation program is divided into 2 groups based on age:
- Saturday 9:30 am to 11:00 am for 4 and 5 year olds
- Tuesday AND Thursday 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm for 6 and 7 year olds
On Saturdays, 4 and 5 year olds will work on a true introduction to the game with a main goal of making it an enjoyable and fun experience for the kids as well as beginning to develop a love of baseball. They will work on very fundamental skills including:
- Throwing – using proper technique
- Catching and fielding – a basic introduction to the concept and technique
- Hitting – at first off a tee, but for the most part with coaches pitching
- Baserunning – an introduction to the layout of a baseball field and how to run from base to base
- Game situation – as the season progresses, kids will be introduced to the concept of how an actual game is played and most weeks will conclude with a game
- Sportsmanship and safety – encouraging proper behaviour on the field including dealing with teammates and opponents, winning and losing and making sure everyone is safe
On Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6 and 7 year olds will continue to build on all the skills they began developing in the Saturday program, always with the main goal of having fun and developing a love for the game. Skills they will work on will include:
- Throwing, catching and fielding – it as this age that these skills really begin to develop and proper technique will be stressed
- Hitting – at first with coaches pitching (a tee as well at times), later a pitching machine will be introduced to begin to prepare kids for moving to the next level
- Baserunning – beginning to work on actual technique, sliding and what to do in actual game situations
- Game situations – most weeks actual games will be played, and as they play kids will be taught the basic rules and situational strategies of baseball
- Sportsmanship and safety – continuing to encourage proper behaviour on the field including dealing with teammates and opponents, winning and losing and making sure everyone is safe